Built in 1938, the original carriage house was located at a property on Lakeshore Road and was home to a billiards room and an upstairs guest room.
When its owner, Margaret Spaulding, died, the house was inherited by her son Thomas Spaulding and a log cabin.
That cabin originally came from Goderich and had been floated down Lake Huron on a log boom to its new home.
Both the carriage house and cabin were eventually sold to Sarnia builder and alderman Lorne Hay.
His family later donated the buildings to the City of Sarnia. In May 1971, the carriage house and log cabin were each moved in one piece from the Hay property east of Modeland Road to Canatara Park.
The new carriage house project began in 2016.The new carriage house is now used for Christmas on the Farm and Easter in the Park, two popular annual festivities organized by the Seaway Kiwanis in partnership with the City of Sarnia.
In the summer time, (the carriage house) can and is used for picnics and shelter from the sun.